African American Scholarships: There is an increased demand for Scholarships for African American students because of many factors. The Black population is increasing and therefore, the number of people needing these scholarships keeps on soaring. The good news is, many institutions and schools are creating scholarship programs dedicates to African-Americans and this has really boosted the capacity. This Website is going to look at some Available Grants and scholarships for Black Americans.
Education and scholarships for African Americans.
Compared to other racial groups in the United States, black Americans lag far behind in college enrollment. Many factors are to blame for this including poverty, some aspects of African American culture (such as use of illicit drugs and gang violence), among other things. However, despite this, there are a few African Americans who make it against all odds and win a place in college. The problem that these people face is funding for college. This article is going to look at some scholarships for African Americans.
The demand for African-American scholarships is increased because of the following factors;
- Rapid increases of black population the population is increasing and therefore, the number of people needing these scholarships keeps on soaring.
- In addition, many institutions and schools are creating scholarship programs that are dedicated for black students and this has really boosted the capacity. .
- African American community are getting more interested in becoming intellectuals so that they can compete with other groups in the society. They know that education will make them more responsible and productive members of the society.
Place where African American college students should look for funding.
- University in which they have been admitted: The first place where African American college students should look for funding for college is the university in which they have been admitted. There are some universities that offer need-blind financial aid to students who have excelled. This is particularly the case with most colleges in the Ivy League such as Harvard and Yale. Therefore, applying for a scholarship from the university itself should be the first resolution of any African American college student.
- Institutions that offer scholarships for African American: The second place where African-Americans should look for scholarships is in institutions that offer scholarships only to black American students. Such organizations and foundations are very many. Organizations like the NAACP offer scholarships to bright African American students from all over the United States. The list of institutions and organizations that give scholarships to African Americans is too long to be listed in this short article.
Available Grants and scholarships for African-American students.
- Air Force ROTC Enhanced HBCU Scholarships: Candidates have to be college freshmen or sophomores enrolled at Jackson State University, Tuskegee University, Alabama State University, Howard University, Grambling State University, North Carolina A&T University, Fayetteville State University or Tennessee State University
- American Sociological Association Minority Fellowship Program: If you are looking for postgraduate scholarships in sociology, American Sociological Association Minority Fellowship Program is here for you.This programs aims to give Postgraduate education for sociology students
- William L. Hastie Award: Are you a member of National Association of Blacks in Criminal Justice (NABCJ)? this award is for you. The award honors the first African American appointed to the bench in 1937 by President Franklin Roosevelt. To win William L. Hastie Award candidate should prove leadership in criminal justice.
- Namepa Scholarships for Engineering students: National Association of Multicultural Engineering Program Advocates (NAMEPA) Scholarship Program. NAMEPA Scholarship Program aims to help minority students to develop into engineers. Selection relies on coursework in highschool,
- Minority Dental Student Scholarship: This fund for black Americans is offered by American Dental Association Foundation (ADA), The aim is to encourage minority college students to pursue careers in dental hygiene, dental assisting etc.
- Congressional Black Caucus Foundation Scholarships: Congressional Black Caucus foundation Scholarship aims to support undergraduates and Graduates degree students in the field of Performing arts, Science, Management etc. Some of the CBC schemes includes; Congressional Black Caucus Spouses Education Scholarship, Congressional Black Caucus Spouses Performing Arts Scholarship, Congressional Black Caucus Spouses Visual Arts Scholarship and CBC Spouses Cheerios Brand Health Initiative Scholarship.
- Medical Library Association (MLA) Scholarships: MLA Scholarship programs aims to help Minority Students attend colleges. Try them today for your college dreams. MLA programs includes; MLA spectrum Scholarship, Which is a special program to help minority students in turning into health sciences information professionals. another great scheme is MLA scholarship for Minority, the program to help Black Americans wishing to attend graduate library school.
- Ronald McDonald House Charities U.S. Scholarships: Through This scholarship, High school senior student will be able to attend College studies. Black student must be under 21 years of age. to be eligible for Ronald McDonald House Charities
Other list of scholarships for African American students:
- American Meteorological Society (AMS) Industry Minority Scholarships
- American Physical Society (APS) Minority Scholarship.
- Colgate “Bright Smiles, Bright Futures” Minority Scholarships.
- Minority Dental Student Scholarship by American Dental Association Foundation.
- DiversityAbroad.com Summer Abroad Scholarship
- CLA Scholarship for Minority Students in Memory of Edna Yelland
- National Medical Fellowships Inc. Need-Based Scholarship Program
- Clanseer and Anna Johnson Scholarships.
- Henry Sachs Foundation Scholarship.
- Kansas Ethnic Minority Scholarship
- Mildred Towle
Scholarship for African-Americans
- Thomara Latimer Cancer Foundation Scholarship
- Edith M. Allen Scholarship United Methodist Church
- Donna Jamison Lago Memorial Scholarship,
- Catherine W. Pierce Scholarship,
- Clorox Company Foundation Scholarship,
- Edward D. Grigg Scholarship Foundation,
- Samuel New-house Scholarship and
- the Nelnet Scholarship
- Ronald McDonald House Charities U.S. Scholarships
Scholarships for Black Women
There are some scholarships that are given specifically to African American women. This is because even though college enrollment levels for African Americans are low, they are much lower for Black American women. The organizations that offer scholarships and grants take this as the number one reason why they need to support Black females. some of these programs includes
- NBNA Scholarships- National Black Nurses Association: This is annual program by NBNA to promote excellence in education and in continuing education programs for African American nurses and allied health professionals.
- Minorities and Women Educational Scholarship
see more on List of scholarships for Black women
Benefits of these African-American awards and grants
There are many benefits that you will get from these scholarships.
They are non refundable. Unlike loans, scholarships are not refundable. You get the money, put it in your education and once you graduate that’s it. You go on to work or pursue other opportunities without having loans to pay. This is very good for ones future as it will enable one to move to the next level with ease.
Worry Free: Scholarships for African-American programs will enable you to study smoothly in your college, you will have no worries about college fees leaving you free to focus on your studies thus enabling you to pass better.
How to get black American scholarships?
It should be pointed out that most of these Grants are not awarded purely on the basis that a person is of African American descent, even though that is the number one qualification. There are some other factors that the students need to have to qualify for the scholarship. These factors include
- Good grades ( high school and college GPA); You have to work hard in school so that you can reach the required pass mark that will guarantee you the scholarship
- Community participation like evidence of having served the community.
- Good academic history as well as disciplinary history in high school.
- Good in sports: There are other Awards that only need one to be good at sports. This balances out opportunities by enabling those with sports talent to excel in life.
Look around this website and act now for scholarships for African-Americans. Thanks