Mississippi Organ Recovery Agency (MORA) recently announced its 2019-2020 scholarship winners.
This year, MORA added three memorial scholarships from donated funds raised by donor families in memory of their loved one who gave the Gift of Life: the Allie Carruth Memorial Scholarship ($5,000), the Walker Wilbanks Memorial Scholarship ($2,265), and the Matthew Gaskin Memorial Scholarship ($1,000). MORA also offered two $1,000 scholarships: the Annie Lucious Gift of Life Scholarship and the Dr. Shirley Schlessinger Scholarship, named after MORA’s long time medical director, as well as two $500 scholarships.
Among other criteria, students submitted a 300-750 word essay on the topics of how they or their family have been affected by donation and/or transplantation, why they are a registered donor or want to become registered, or the importance of encouraging others to be donors.
The Walker Wilbanks Memorial Scholarship, however, was based solely on a one page letter written by an administrator, faculty or staff member on behalf of the applicant describing how he or she exhibits exemplary character traits such as integrity, accountability, respect, and responsibility.
The winners of the 2019-2020 scholarships are:
- Allie Carruth Memorial Scholarship ($5,000)—Kaitlin Elise Myricks, Germantown High School
- Walker Wilbanks Scholarship ($2,265)—Tyler Smith, Northeast Lauderdale High School
- Matthew Gaskin Memorial Scholarship ($1,000)—Molly Stinson, Madison Central High School
- Annie Lucious Gift of Life Scholarship ($1,000)—Hannah Johnson, Vardaman High School
- Dr. Shirley Schlessinger Scholarship ($1,000)—Taylor Claire Lessley, Cathedral High School
- MORA Scholarship ($500)—William Scott Giachelli, Washington School
- MORA Scholarship ($500)—Dempsie Lindsey, Saltillo High School
BEFORE YOU GO…
… we’d like to ask for your support. More people are reading the Mississippi Business Journal than ever before, but advertising revenues for all conventional media are falling fast. Unlike many, we do not use a pay wall, because we want to continue providing Mississippi’s most comprehensive business news each and every day. But that takes time, money and hard work. We do it because it is important to us … and equally important to you, if you value the flow of trustworthy news and information which have always kept America strong and free for more than 200 years.
If those who read our content will help fund it, we can continue to bring you the very best in news and information. Please consider joining us as a valued member, or if you prefer, make a one-time contribution.
Click for more info