Dow Chemical Employees’ Credit Union awarded 10 scholarships worth $1,500 each to DCECU-affiliated students through two scholarship programs.
DCECU awarded eight of the scholarships to members in good standing through the Dow Chemical Employees’ Credit Union Members Endowed Scholarship program, which is administered by the Midland Area Community Foundation. The remaining two scholarships were awarded to family members of credit union employees through a separate scholarship fund with the foundation.
The 2020 scholarship winners and their intended fields of study and universities are:
• Joe Cummings of Bullock Creek High School, who will study biology at Saginaw Valley State University.
• Serena Fleming-Dittenber of Midland High School, who will study biology at Saginaw Valley State University.
• Ashley King of Heritage High School in Saginaw, who will study optometry at University of Michigan.
• Thomas Johnstone of Midland High School, who will study business/economics at Alma College.
• Allison Leslie of Herbert Henry Dow High School, who will study biochemistry at Ferris State University.
• Jaylynn Slabic of Gladwin High School, who will study healthcare administration at Northwood University.
• Hailee Swantek of Midland High School, who will study accounting at Michigan State University.
• Katelyn Taylor of Swan Valley High School (Saginaw), who will study kinesiology at Saginaw Valley State University.
• Brooke Ward of Coleman High School, who will study business/economics at Saginaw Valley State University.
• Audrey Xu of Herbert Henry Dow High School, who will study finance at University of Michigan.
“Now in our eighth year of this scholarship program through the Midland Area Community Foundation, DCECU remains steadfastly committed to supporting the educational aspirations of students who are part of the credit union,” said DCECU Vice President of Retail Operations Ken Roznowski, who helped organize the scholarship program. “It is important to us to give back in every way we can, and we see this scholarship program as an investment in the future of our community – and our society as a whole.”
Since DCECU’s two scholarship programs with the foundation began in 2013, a total of $120,000 has been awarded.
DCECU members can apply for the Dow Chemical Employees’ Credit Union Members Endowed Scholarship each year between Dec. 1 and March 1 by visiting the Midland Area Community Foundation website at midlandfoundation.org/scholarships. Applicants must be planning to attend or already attending an accredited community college or four-year college or university. For more information regarding the scholarship, call the foundation at 989-839-9661.
For 2020, the foundation awarded a total of 320 scholarships worth more than $800,000 to 231 local students.
– Processed by Victoria Ritter, email@example.com